Last week, I told you some of my favorite ways to listen to podcasts. This week, I'm excited to share my favorite shows with you! Again, there are so many out there, but these are the ones to which I do (or did) consistently devote my precious ear time!
Cozy up, and let me tell you--in my words--why I love listening to each of these audio works of art!
To narrow it down, these my five FAVORITE favorite podcasts!
- Another Round with Heben & Tracy -- This podcast originally started as Buzzfeed Podcast, and now they're branching out on their own. They have dope--yet serious--interviews, play fun games, have fantastic guests, talk about racial and gender issues (among others), and so much more. It's difficult for me to describe, because I feel like I'm just listening to really cool (people I want to be) friends (with) when I listen to this pod.
- Strangers -- Lea Thau hosts this show featuring amazing stories. Every episode is a different story (or set of stories). Often take twists and turns. All of them connect you to humanity and often make you feel empathetic. If you want to hear some truly great stories, this is a must. I went back and listened to all of the old episodes in 2017, and it was worth every minute.
- Tell 'Em Steve-Dave -- TESD is hosted by Bryan Johnson, Walt Flanagan (both of AMC's Comic Book Men), and Brian Quinn (of truTV's Impractical Jokers). These are just three friends shooting the shit. I admittedly started listening due being a fan of Impractical Jokers, but I quickly became a fan of these guys.
- The Tenderloins Podcast -- This is the podcast that started it all for me (which is why this made my top five, even though there hasn't been a new episode in years)!! I knew about podcasts, but I had never listened. In 2012, I was (well, I still am) obsessed with the TV show Impractical Jokers on truTV. In an effort to "know" them as well as possible, I started listening to their short lived podcast. It's only 13 episodes, but it's really great, especially if you love the guys behind Impractical Jokers.
- What Say You? -- This podcast is absolutely HILARIOUS, especially if you love The Tenderloins, the stars of truTV's Impractical Jokers. This is hosted by Brian "Q" Quinn and Sal Vulcano. It's worth going back to listen to if you like them--or just funny stories in general. Unfortunately, the guys are pretty busy and rarely release episodes anymore. I keep it on my playlist in hopes of new episodes.
Here are the rest of the podcasts on my "Favorites" list!
- 74 Seconds -- In 22 or so episodes, the story of Philando Castile, who you may remember dying after being shot by a police officer during a traffic stop while his girlfriend streamed everything on Facebook Live, is told. It also goes through the trial of his case. It's very insightful and informative.
- The Brain Candy Podcast -- This is hosted by vets of MTV's The Challenge, Susie Meister and Sarah Rice. They generally release two episodes per week, where they talk about their lives but also about stories they've read, research, whatever. It's part brainy and part candy. I enjoyed them both on The Challenge, so I finally started listening this past summer.
- DTR - The Official Tinder Podcast -- DTR is about dating in the current day and age, particularly on Tinder. They follow daters, review and revamp profiles, have guest hosts, and so on. As someone who has done lots of this kind of dating, it's just a nice reminder that I'm not alone.
- The Good News Podcast -- Supported by Cards Against Humanity Saves America subscribers (including me!!), this is a new podcast to make you feel good in a world of not always great news. Each episode is SUPER short--I'd say an average of three minutes per episode--which makes it nice to digest.
- Ear Hustle -- This podcast is created by two incarcerated individuals and an artist in the Bay Area. It gives really insightful stories to the inside of prison, while also providing humor and knowledge.
- It's Happening with Snooki & Joey -- Snooki from the Jersey Shore and her BFF Joey (who you might remember from her other show, Snooki & JWoww) usually drink and get loud, off track, and crazy on their podcast. There's just something I love about them, especially together, so even though it's maybe not the best produced (much because of their wildness), I really enjoy them.
- Missing Richard Simmons -- This tells the story of... missing Richard Simmons. I had no idea he was even missing--or was he!?--but I always thought he was interesting. This is only six episodes, but it was fascinating to me!!
- The Nod -- Brittany Luse is the host of Sampler (mentioned below), and since that ended, I decided to listen to her new(er) podcast with friend Eric Eddings. It's the newest to this list for me, so I can't even talk about its entire body of work yet, but it talks about Black life and culture. Many of the stories are not your common, so it has been very interesting for me to hear these new to me stories!
- Straight Talk with Ross Mathews -- I've been a fan of Ross Mathews since he was "Ross the Intern" on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (before Jay stole the show back from my beloved Conan). The podcast was a bit overwhelming when I started listening this summer; there are a lot of hosts/guests. However, I learned to love everyone. I love the games, the songs, the regular bits; nothing is off limits. It reminds me of an old talk show or something like that.
- Sampler -- My friend Daphne A. told me about this podcast many times before I recently listened to it in its entirety. It's only 30-some episodes, but it is, as she described it, "a podcast about podcasts." They play clips from other podcasts (including some of the ones mentioned in this post). So, if you're looking to get into podcasts but don't know where to start (and don't like my suggestions here!), this is a curated way to find out more about some pods.
- Serial -- If you've only heard of one podcast, it's likely Serial. It's a non-fiction investigative podcast. hosted by Sarah Koenig. Each season (two, so far) consists of about 12 episodes each, and the way they tell the stories is SO good. There is a reason this podcast took the podcast world by storm! It's definitely worth a listen, though I still don't know who I think did it (season one).
- S-Town -- If you've only heard of two podcasts, the second is likely S-Town. This story has so many twists and turns; it does not start where it ends. Plus, if you're new to pods, this is only seven episodes, so it's a relatively quick listen and introduction to podcast-land.
- Thirst Aid Kit -- Nichole Perkins and Bim Adewunmi, who have been guests on Another Round (side note: there's something about podcasts keeping it in the fam/being guests on each other's shows), and they recently started this podcast. It's about... lust! Both women are smart and hilarious, so I really enjoy their takes on whatever the lust topics are for the given episode.
- Unhappy Hour with Matt Bellassi -- Remember Matt Bellassi from Buzzfeed's "Whine About It" videos? He's moved on to other things, including this podcast! Matt's humor is so great. Yeah, maybe it's a little negative, but he's so smart and remembers the most random things, which always make me chuckle. Plus, he has some fun guests and interviews.
So, there you have it! Again, there are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of podcasts out there! My tastes are likely different from many others, and I also have a long list saved on Stitcher as "Maybe One Day" podcasts. These have been suggested to me or are pods I've heard of but haven't gotten around to yet. Maybe one day they'll make it to this list! In the meantime, what are your favorites podcasts? I'm always open to suggestions, as I hope you've enjoyed mine! Happy listening!